Founded in the early 1920s and originally known as Erskine Lawn Tennis Club, tennis in the village has been established as an important community facility. It was through the generosity of Miss Ella Winifred Brown and her family leasing the land for the playing of tennis, that the Club was established on its present site.
The earliest records note that the Club played in the West of Scotland Leagues in the early 1930s and entered a team in the Junior Calcutta Cup in 1935 and the Scottish Cup in 1946.
In those early days Dunlop tennis balls were purchased from the Robertson Rubber Company who were located in Queen Street, Glasgow.
In May 1945 a flag was purchased, for 10/6, to hang from the Club flagpole during Victory week. A year later the Club Championships were re-instated with an entry fee of 2/- and the Ladies and Gents Singles winners each receiving a voucher to the value of one guinea and half a guinea (10/6) going to each of the winners of the Mixed Doubles.
The cost of a tennis net purchased in 1950 from Alexander & Son of Paisley was 5-17-6. The membership at that time was 51 senior, 25 junior and 12 intermediate.
Several Donors gave money to purchase Gents and Ladies Singles Trophies. The first Gents winner was H.I.F. Harper and the first Lady was M.C. Young. These Trophies are still competed for annually in the Club Championships.
At the A.G.M. in September 1971 the Club name was changed to Bishopton Lawn Tennis Club with the West of Scotland L.T.A. being notified, and the following season teams the club entered in the Leagues were 2 Ladies, 2 Gents and one Junior.
Mr George McGill donated three match scoreboards in 1974 and the following year saw the introduction of Dunlop’s yellow tennis balls.
In May 1987 the Club purchased the lease on the land from Miss Brown on the understanding that the land be used for tennis. Two silver plates were purchased and engraved and a Mixed Doubles Tournament called the Miss Brown Tournament is now played for annually.
With assistance from the Sports Council and the LTA three new, artificial grass courts were laid to replace the red blaes and were completed in 1992.
1993 saw the introduction of the Douglas Adam Mixed Doubles Tournament with two Caithness Glass trophies being contested for in memory of the late Douglas Adam who was always keen to see tennis being played whenever possible during the winter months. This tournament continues to be an important part of the tennis calendar at Bishopton Tennis Club.
A tractor was purchased in 1994, with the assistance of money donated by Anne Adam on behalf of her family, to assist with the maintenance of the tennis courts and they are faithfully maintained by this method to this day.
SLTA involvement in the Junior coaching programme took place in 1998 and in 2000 the Robinson’s Starter Tournament was hosted by the Club. The following year saw the LTA Club Vision programme being presented to the Club members at the AGM in January and the Club took part in the National Play Tennis Day, as it did in the following two years.
The Club was accredited for Mini-Tennis in 2002 and a link made with Bishopton Primary School to promote tennis.
The Tennis Club has supported the community over the years on “Bishopton Day”. A very active Social Committee arranges special evenings such as Cheese and Wine, Junior and Senior Barbeques, Quiz nights etc., along with an Annual Club Dance.
2006 saw the clubhouse completely refurbished with new décor including new toilets, changing rooms, central heating, energy saving internal lighting and a tv /video facility to enhance coaching techniques.
2007 saw the artificial grass courts replaced for the first time having lasted for 14 years, somewhat longer than the ten years expected. This has been attributed to the meticulous maintenance of the tennis courts by former president Mr A. Jack and Mr A.Scott.
At present the Club is very active with 60 Senior and 40 junior members. A Junior coaching programme incorporating Mini Tennis takes place throughout the year with the coaching provided by a qualified LTA coach and tennis assistants. Junior and Senior teams successfully, participate in the West of Scotland Leagues.